Friday, December 4, 2020

This Week

 This entry will be short.

It has been a long, hard week. My mother—our mother, counting my two brothers—died Sunday after a long, weary, draining (on her, on my father, on all of us) struggle with dementia. 

Add to that a workload, both at Court and in the volunteer arena, that has skyrocketed courtesy of the pandemic. The stories I am hearing range from matter-of-fact to heartbreaking and are only going to get worse as the pandemic and its economic fallout deepen. My two coworkers in the mediation department are also swamped, which is why I held mediation for two and a half hours the morning of my mother's afternoon graveside service. 

I am exhausted. Today in trying to schedule a mediation while on a Zoom meeting with colleagues at Court and at our high school, I stopped and said, "What day is this? What day are we looking at?" One of the participants kindly said, "It's Friday the 4th, April." Thank you.

One small note and then I will close. While working today, I heard a knock at the front door. When I went to look outside, a delivery person was holding a flower arrangement in her hands. "April Nelson?" Yes. She set the container down on the porch and left.

The arrangement was a vase of yellow roses, my mother's favorite flower. My dad had a spray of them on her casket at the service. I knew it had to come from someone who knew my mom well. I was right; it was from a lifelong friend, Mary Lou, whose daughter Cindy has been my friend my entire life.

And that is a wonderful note to end this long week on. 


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holding you close, April.
Patricia

Laurie said...

Thinking of you, and hoping the coming days give you the time and space you need.

Drake Stone said...

Hi April... I'm sorry to hear about your mother's passing. I hope you find a moment of solitude, peace, and rest soon.

You don't know me but...about 8 months ago we had a brief online exchange after I read one of your articles on Medium. You may recall from a comment that I happened to be listening to "Sweet Tides" from Thievery Corporation's Symphonik version while reading your article.

Your story for some reason hit me hard. Soul-crushingly hard.

Since then I think I've read that story no less than 200 times... and just wanted you to know.

The layers of sadness, acceptance, and peace are beautifully painted. I can only hope to ever write so powerful. I've been using it to keep events in my life in perspective... and when things get stressful I look for the page I have bookmarked.

So, despite feeling like a complete stalker here, I did want to find out how you were doing and if you were still on Medium. I'm glad I discovered your internet hiding place and happy to see that you are doing well.

An admirer of your writing...

Out My window said...

I am so sorry for your loss. That is so hard. We went through so much with my mom. Even though it is a blessing it is still so hard. Sending you a virtual hug my friend.