Sunday, December 13, 2020

An Update and an Addendum

 Back in September, I wrote my attempts to get an avocado seed to sprout. At the time, I noted how much of the issue was my impatience, even as I quoted Hope Jahren's reminder that every single tree in this world "was first a seed that waited."

Three months later, here is the result of that waiting:

The avocado tree today


That picture was taken a week ago. You might notice a small green blot on the left side of the pot.  That blot is the addendum in my title. Sometime in November, eating a seedless clementine, I spit out a seed. Warren looked at it and said, "So why not plant it?"  

That wayward clementine seed sprouted sometime in the last two weeks and here it is today:

Another seed that waited 

 I'm not sure what will (eventually) become of either of these trees. I am not in a warm enough climate to get either to ever bear fruit outside. What I have not investigated is whether I am even in a temperate enough climate that either would survive outside, even with the climate change that is diminishing our cold weather. 

But for now, I marvel at them: the seeds that waited, the trees that sprouted. 

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Hooray for your avocado tree! It looks happy. Somehow, even with planting lemon and avocado seeds, it never occurred to me to plant a clementine. I may have to try that.

Out My window said...

I have a lemon tree that only has one blossom this year. I think I need to fertilize. Have a blessed Holiday.