Monday, August 20, 2018

Books And Then A Brief Hiatus

A brief hiatus? Well, only because we head out to the Pacific Northwest midweek for two (2!) weeks and I am only bringing along two books. I don't read e-books as a rule and am not the least bit tempted to break that rule. But the reality is that my overarching goal on this trip is to be with my family and, even for an avid bibliophile like me, books are relegated to the bottom of the list.

In preparation for our being away, I froze my reserve list at our library, set to thaw the day before we get home. I just finished and dropped off a library book this morning, and the two I have at home yet are due after we come back (and one of those is going with me). So all matters book-related are squared away for the duration.

So what have I finished since last time? These treasures:
148. What We Were Promised by Lucy Tan (set in Shanghai, this novel turns on family, honor, promises, and a prodigal adult at the heart of it all)
149. A Carnival of Losses: Notes Nearing Ninety by Donald Hall (this one moved me so much I blogged about it here)
150. The Distance Home by Paula Saunder (a novel set in South Dakota  that I read on the strength of a review in The New York Times; good read)
151. Hello, Universe by Erin Entrada Kelly (this was the 2018 Newbery Award winner and we all know how I feel about the Newbery; it took me some several chapters to warm to this Juvenile novel, but it was worth the wait)
152. Let's Talk Diabetes With Owls by David Sedaris (why not Sedaris?; see also #120)
153. Piecing Me Together by Renee Watson (as much as I enjoyed the 2018 Newbery winner (#151), I really, really loved this YA novel, a Newbery Honor book for 2018; Jade, a scholarship student at a private Portland (Oregon) school who is slotted into a mentor program for young women of color, deals with racism, class, privilege, loyalty, family, and friendship)
154. Another Side of Paradise by Sally Koslow (a novel of the Sheilah Graham/F. Scott Fitzgerald romance, beautifully told from her point of view)
155. Number One Chinese Restaurant by Lillian Li (I almost put this novel down after the first 20 or so pages; I'm glad I took a break, started over, and got caught up in the story of the Han family and the many layers of loyalty and responsibility woven through the Chinese restaurants run by the family)

While out west, I believe Ramona will be reading to me. See you on the other side.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I'm picking up two books at the library tomorrow, and knowing you've had strong influence on my reading list, I expect one is a book I learned of from you. I hope you have a fantastic trip!