Thursday, August 2, 2018

And To Think I Used To Be A Math Whiz

In going over my finances, I noticed some errors in my calculations, specifically the monthly average output for grocery/household combined. The error crept in with the June average, when I used an erroneous figure (too high) for May. I compounded that error in figuring out year-to-date average for July using that same erroneous figure.

So here's the scoop. Despite the high amount spent in June, we still came in with our year-to-date average under $175.00, specifically $172.58. And when I calculated for July using the correct figures? The year-to-date average is $169.82.

Well, heck, we're just sailing along, aren't we?

And I really did used to be a math whiz, other than in geometry. Algebra 2, trig, calculus: those were strong, solid courses for me. I remember working out the formulas for the diameter and circumference of a circle using calculus, which I took in college four years after my last high school math course, and beaming in great delight because it made perfect and beautiful sense to me in a way that geometry never did. Oh, so that's how you reach that formula. Oh, oh, oh. 

Sigh.

No comments: