Friday, September 7, 2018

Things I Learned While Traveling


Warren and I just midweek (Thursday morning at 3:30 a.m. to be precise) returned from two weeks on the road: Delaware to Chicago, then all the way out to Portland/Vancouver (Washington, not B.C.), then down to Sacramento, California, back to Chicago by way of Amtrak, then home to Delaware by car. When I post my August financials, I will have a breakdown of the trip (even though some of it fell into September) and at some point sooner than later I will share a few pictures.

This post, in comparison, contains travel observations I scrawled in a notebook while riding the rails. This was not our first lengthy train expedition, but traveling is always an opportunity to broaden one's horizons. In no particular order, here's what stuck with me:

  • Two small travel toothpastes are enough for two people for two weeks, no matter what your spouse says.
  • When traveling as a couple, I will always pack more than I need.
  • Don't leave the cheap flip-flops at home. Ever.
  • When traveling by train, take every Fresh Air Break they call one, get out and walk around. Okay, every FAB except the one at 3:00 a.m.
  • Amtrak meals (included with the roomette) are expansive. Don't eat everything. On the other hand, stockpile bottled water every chance an Amtrak employee offers you one. 
  • The upper berth on an Amtrak roomette is adequate if you are into self-abasement.
  • It is easier to sleep head to toe in the bottom berth than subject anyone to the top berth. (See previous entry.)
  • The Milky Way is real. Look at it. (I know that, but it helps to be visually reminded from time to time.)
  • Look out the window all the time. Even when it is dark. This is a big country. Treat yourself to it. 
  • Practice patience. Practice mindfulness. You'll need it.

It's good to be back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it weird that I saw a new post, and smiled like Garfield the Cat? Looking forward to hearing about your trip, and Ramona.
Patricia/Fl

Out My window said...

Love the list.

Laurie said...

Wonderful observations. My husband & I talk about taking a train trip some day, so this info could definitely be useful. That top berth must be awful.