Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Small Moment

I have written many, many times about books and the importance of books in my life. When I was a child, they were my refuge and my beacon to the future. They never let me down.

Books were important to my son Ben, growing up as he did in a house fraught with tension and emotional landmines. It was a sign of how far he had come emotionally when he told me I could let go of his children's books and give them to his cousin for his daughters. Ramona would be fine, he assured me, with all the books already in her life and all the books yet to come.

And he was right.

Books are threaded throughout my life, Ben's life, and Ramona's life. To me, that's the way it should be. So imagine my joy when Alise's mother Mona, Ramona's beloved Nana, sent this to me this week:



The little boy on the left is Ramona's cousin Lyrick, who I will finally meet this August. And the little reader bent over the book on the right? That's our Ramona, reading away.

Ben told me, the last time we talked, that Ramona is reading a lot now. "She can't wait for you to come out so she can read to you," he added.

She can't wait? I can't either.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand. I cherish my reading time with my grandson Auggie. I look forward to sharing my beloved books with him, as he grows. Enjoy your time with Ramona.
Patricia

Laurie said...

How sweet! Every night on our recent beach trip with our granddaughter, we took turns reading out loud. I had brought a pile of library books, not sure what she'd like (Marrying J brought this little one into relationship with me. She lives a bit of a hike from where we live, so I'm just really getting to know her). Neither of her parents are readers, so I'm doing my best to encourage it. It sounds like you sowed some good seeds!

Anne said...

Watching my son learn to read and devour books is one of my greatest joys.