Friday, June 1, 2018

May Finances


It's June and time to look back at the May expenditures for groceries and household items, as well as eating out. I'm hoping we end the year spending  an average of $175.00 a month or less on groceries (food) and household items (examples: cleaning supplies, toilet paper, toothpaste, shampoo) in 2018. I don't have a goal for eating out; I'm tracking it this year more to get an idea of where we fall on that scale than anything.

On the grocery front, we spent $112.53 on food and $19.22 on household items for a combined total of $131.75 for May. For the year, we are averaging right around $153.00 a month. That pleases me to no end.

Our eating costs were considerably higher than usual: $67.00 for the month. About $10.00 of that was attributable to Warren attending an out-of-town training (two days, one night) but the rest was takeout, pizza out one night at our favorite place, coffee with friends (my weakness for hot chocolate and frozen hot chocolate over the much less expensive cup of tea), and, gulp, ice cream. I'm heading out for coffee shortly and will prudently order tea. I have a feeling when 2018 is over, I will learn that we spend more on eating out than I thought we did coming into the year.

Looking ahead to June, our household grocery expenditures should stay fairly even, but the eating out will jump because we are attending the League of American Orchestras national conference in Chicago. While breakfast will be cheap (we're staying in our sister-in-law's condo in Oak Park and will bring cereal from home), there is no way around lunches and some dinners in Chicago. We'll keep it as inexpensive as possible, but it is Chicago.

Onward!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Enjoying a hot chocolate while visiting with a friend sounds like a simple pleasure. I'm thinking you can easily justify it, by how well you're doing with the grocery expenses :o).