Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Small Moment

We had a break in the hot, heavy weather last night when a gentle rain rolled through. This morning was cooler and fresher, so I walked to work.

Walking to work on a summer morning is a gift.

A block away, Darrell was out on the swing on his front porch, a mug of coffee in his hand. Darrell goes way back in Warren's life as an instructor and mentor, and I have gotten to know him over the years as yet another benefit of being married to Warren. We exchanged greetings and comments about the weather. Darrel hoisted his mug and said he might just spend the whole morning on the porch with his coffee. As I said goodbye and walked on, he called, "Say hello to that great guy of yours!"

Yes, I thought, smiling, he is that great guy of mine.

Further up the block (literally and figuratively, as the street rises), in front of one of the houses, a cat eyed me with feline superiority. On the front steps of the same house, coffee cups in hand, were the brother and sister-in-law of our next door neighbors. They raised their cups high as we swapped greetings.

Further along, I brushed by lilies spilling over the sidewalk from a waist-high fence planter.

Another two blocks and I was at Court, all the fresher for the walk, the greetings, the gardens, the day.

And that has made all the difference.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

<3 Delightful!

Laurie said...

This sounds like such a lovely way to get to work. I can surely see how it would make a difference to your days.