Sunday, January 14, 2018

Small Moment

We have been in a lockdown deep freeze for much of the last two weeks, so my time outside is limited. But that doesn't mean I can't experiment with the new camera inside. These are a few of the small items I keep on my desk.


This pig has been part of my life forever. It probably belonged to my mom or one of her siblings, maybe even my grandmother, before I got my hands on it in grade school. It has traveled back and forth across this country more times than I like to think about. I keep it as a visual reminder that money isn't everything and being frugal helps.



The rocks are from Lake Superior, a wonderful trip Warren and I took several years ago. The seashell? Just one I have had for a long time because I like how it looks.



I bought this Frida Kahlo/Day of the Dead figurine in Portland on one of my trips there. I loved the combination of the watermelon and the parrot. And seeing her grinning at me each time I sit down to type reminds me of this favorite quote by Sir Francis Bacon: "Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand—and melting like a snowflake."

Not that the snow outside is melting at all.

Part of the learning curve with the new camera is the focus, which is not unlike life itself. Each time I pick the camera up, I have to think about my focus and what I am looking to see. Each day I wake up, I have to think about my focus and what I am looking to do.

Sometimes life imitates art after all.


1 comment:

Laurie said...

I'm a collector of rocks and shells too. The Day of the Dead stuff is sometimes scary for me to look at, but your Frida is a cheerful one. That's a lovely Bacon quote, and one I'd not heard.