Sunday, January 21, 2018

Books And More Books

Books 8, 9, and 10 on the list below. 

I have a friend, a constant reader, who keeps a log of every book she has read. The log, or at least the recent years of it, is on her iPhone, so when we are discussing a book, she can pull up the title and author. And I have met others, always women, who have kept book logs, also going back years, in notebooks or special journals. I admire the thoroughness of recording the reading life, but I always think, "Holy Smokes, I'd have to have a whole bookshelf set aside just for journals of what I have read!"

This is on my mind because I have several friends who set themselves a challenge this year of reading 50 books. Occasionally, they post on Facebook or Instagram how they are doing in the challenge.

I love people committing to reading and give them thumbs up when I see that happening.

Seeing all these reading challenges got me thinking about how much I read a year. I confess: I am a voracious reader. I am one of those people who grew up reading the backs of cereal boxes to have something to read since we weren't allowed to bring books to the table. Reading is my go-to activity whenever I have downtime. Reading is how I spend a huge portion of my evenings. I also read very, very fast, so finishing several books a week is not unusual for me.

So how many books a year do I read? More than I think? Or way less than I think?

I'm not joining a challenge, but I am going to keep track of the books I read (and reread, because I often reread books when I am waiting for selected titles to come in at the library)  in 2018. Here's my list current to date:
1. Adams by David McCollough ( A reread)
2. Babbit by Sinclair Lewis (A reread)
3. Dear Martin by Nic Stone (Excellent YA novel about race and perception of race)
4. John Quincy Adams: A Public Life, A Private Life by Paul Nagel (After reading Adams again, I wanted to read more about John Quincy Adams. Fascinating man.)
5. Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder by Caroline Fraser (Best. Wilder. Biography. Ever.)
6. Ordinary Resurrections by Jonathan Kozol (A reread of a book by someone I admire greatly)
7. The Thin Light of Freedom: The Civil War and Emancipation in the Heart of America by Edward Ayers (Wow wow wow. A history from 1862-1902 told through the lenses of two communities, Chambersburg PA and Staunton VA, using letters, newspaper editorials, and diaries from members of those communities, including African-Americans who fought for the Union. It was excellent, with a thoughtful analysis of the political positions of the major parties and players and how those changed after the 1864 presidential election and the lost promise of Reconstruction with Andrew Johnson in the White House following the assassination of Lincoln. At some point sooner than later, I will read the author's companion book, In The Presence of Mine Enemies, The Civil War in the Heart of America, 1869-1864.)
8. Halsey Street by Naima Coster (An excellent debut novel that I learned of because I am reading through the titles on the list 46 Books by Women of Color to Read in 2018.)
9. When They Call You A Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir by Patrisse Khan-Cullors and asha bandele (The authors with other women founded the BLM movement because, as they make abundantly clear in their work, Black lives don't matter in this country. Even more so since January 20, 2107. This too came from the list of 46 Books referred to in 8.)
10. Ice Ghosts: The Epic Hunt For The Lost Franklin Expedition by Paul Watson (Because what could be fascinating than a search for a lost Arctic expedition from 1845? I mean, seriously!)

I just finished Ice Ghosts last night and need to head back to the library, where more titles are waiting to be picked up. I have another nine on hold, several from the 46 books list referred to above. If I don't make it today, I will no doubt reread something around the house and add it to the list.

To be continued.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

A few years ago, there was a way to keep a reading list on the blogger sidebar, but no longer. That was an easy way to keep up with books read, and I miss it. Your list looks interesting, and I will be checking out several of them to find out more. A friend loaned me one of the Newbery Medal books last week, and I'm looking forward to reading it.