We Jews are in the middle of the High Holy Days, which began last Friday at sunset with Rosh Hashanah and will end this coming Monday at sunset when Yom Kippur comes to a close.
For me, these are days of reflection and introspection. The last year has been filled with a lot of, well, everything ranging from wonderful moments to stressful situations and everything in between. So some of my time during the High Holy Days has been spent thinking about how I want to move through this year more thoughtfully, more carefully, more engaged.
I live in a community where there are very, very few Jews. Any significant participation in the larger Jewish community, especially when it comes to religious services, has to be remote. I do not have the capacity, in any stretch of what "capacity" encompasses, to travel the hour to services in Columbus, particularly in the evening and night.
Truth to be told, I have not attended services online during these special days at all this year.
All the same, perhaps to remind me the universe has a sense of humor, the following video popped up on my YouTube feed last night. Let's just say that each time I watch it, my heart fills with joy and light. Every. Single.Time.
As Ari Schwartz, the Cantor who arranged and then sings this work, explains:
This year, I set Hayom T’amtzeinu (Strengthen Us Today) to the melody of 9 to 5, as a joyful tribute to Dolly Parton and the goodness she has brought into the world.
May her life’s legacy continue to remind us to show up every day, do the work, and bring a little more kindness into the world - from 9 to 5, and beyond.
Wishing you a Shanah Tovah - may it be a year of strength, goodness, and joy.
What a gift.
1 comment:
Love the Cantor, that lifted my mood.
Post a Comment