Thursday, March 16, 2023

All That Time

 

Photo by Eric Rothermel on Unsplash

14 years ago tomorrow, I started this blog with a post about the magic of opening doors.

This is my 842nd post. If I play with the math, that means I have averaged 60.14 posts annually. But the average is meaningless. If you look at the Blog Archive in the column to the right, it shows how many posts I wrote in any given year. Best year? 2009, the year I started, where I came in with a mighty 101 posts. Worst year? 2021: a year of still coping with the pandemic, five brutal months of hard school mediations, and my wrapping up my paid professional life. Small wonder I did not write; I am surprised I even managed 8 posts that year.

Through these years, there have been some common themes: the garden, the Symphony, pies, my children, my grandchildren, money, traveling, reading, books, writing, family, cancer, community. There have been births along the ways (those grandchildren!) as well as deaths, including my older brother, my mother, and my Aunt Ginger. 

Time has just kept flowing along.

For the next few weeks (months?), I may be putting up posts using quotes from my commonplace books as the jumping off point for the post. My first book dates back to the later 1980s; I had started one before that in the mid-1970s, but that one got tossed decades ago (before starting the current volumes. Why did I toss it? I have no idea. (For the record, I am now in volume 5.)

I skim through the various volumes (always close at hand in our downstairs study) every four to six weeks, often looking for a reference or a quote I just know is in one of them. I am usually successful. But what I wonder, considering that the books scan some 35+ years of collecting quotes, is whether I would now find some of the quotes of little interest or even invalid for the person I am now. So I will use the quotes as random prompts and see where they take me.

Like any blogger, I have made friends in the blog-o-sphere along the way: thank you for reading my words. There are also personal friends from my pre-blogging life who have been on this since the onset or have joined on: thank you for reading my words. And thank you,dear Warren, for being there all along the way.  

I am grateful. 

4 comments:

Out My window said...

I have always loved your posts and looked forward to them.

Celie said...

I've been lurking here for maybe a year or so. Occasionally thinking, I should comment on that... I've been enjoying your latest poetry as well as other postings. I stated a blog some time ago, no real posts yet. I love to read; write not so much. Congratulations on 14 years.

Laurie said...

I look forward to seeing where this new path takes you.

April said...

Kim, thank you for those words. Sometimes I look forward to my posts too! (I'm not entirely kidding.) And I have been reading your posts as you move forward from Joel's death; thinking of you always.

Celie, thank you for commenting--and for being a lurker for so long! As for blogging, I feel like saying,"Come on in, that water is fine..."

Laurie, you will laugh when you see my first post on the new path.Oh, the surprises that time reveals!