Friday, March 18, 2022

This Year's Garden, Part Two

 I know gardening time is coming because the daffodils have started to bloom.


Seeds at a local nursery/garden center are 33% off right now. (My favorite farm center, where I will buy my tomatoes, peppers, and other starts, doesn't open for another two weeks.)



And, a few weeks ago, after looking at the gardens, looking at Warren's schedule and the demands on his time and energy, and being honest with myself about my ever diminishing physical capacity, I brought in heavy reinforcements.



I called my dad and let him know about the tiller. Before telling him I had bought one, I asked him if he planned on gardening much this summer. My father is 89 this summer, and age is taking its toll on his body. He said "Well, maybe just a tomato plant, but..." and let his voice trail off.

My dad has always gardened. He grew up in a family where the vegetable garden fed them both in season and over the winter as my grandmother canned everything she could. My parents gardened and canned through all of my childhood, and even when the canning went by the wayside, there was always a garden for the summer.

I told him I had an electric tiller. "I figure you might like to borrow it," I said casually. I could hear an intake of breath in surprise. Then Dad said, "Well, maybe I'll do a couple of rows after all."

You could hear the happiness in his voice.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I hope I feel the same at 89! Wishing you both bountiful gardens.