Saturday, July 31, 2021

The More Things Stay the Same, the More They Change

 It was Madeleine L'Engle who first enlightened me to the value of turning adages inside out for new insights. Which is why instead of echoing Jean-Baptiste Alphone Karr's pronouncement that the more things change, the more they stay the same, I have come to realize that in my life, it is just the opposite.

I have been silent on this site for months. This will only be my seventh post for 2021, a number that no amount of polishing can make shine. That will likely not change until the fall for many reasons, none of them good, all of them good. Looking back at my last post, an embarrassing 58 days ago, I am already noting what has gone awry, amiss, on the lam, or, frankly, despite the sameness, changed radically.

I indeed went to Mayo in early June, as I noted in that long ago post. It was more than wonderful to see my oncologist in person; I was in tears. And while everything on paper stayed the same, we three (Dr. Leung, Warren, and I) suspect there may be deep-seated changes afoot. We head back to Mayo in mid-August for a long day of testing and then a meeting with my doctor. 

I am still working. That stayed the same. Only it didn't. I'm working through the rest of the calendar year, albeit on different terms.  I will not be mediating come the new school year (which starts in mid-August); I'm already several weeks into other projects. I now know just how Charlie Bucket felt when he found the Golden Ticket. 

My dear, close friends did come in June. We had a wonderful evening of glorious talk and laughter and tears and good food. It was one of those evenings where everything just shimmered. 

And my gardens. They need more than a few sentences, so I will share a few photos down below.

See you down the road.

The very first tomato (yes, there have been more)

The very first zucchini (not a success story, yet)

Broccoli (one of three)

The first (but not last) cabbages

Even a tiny batch of basil for pesto (another ongoing saga)


2 comments:

Laurie said...

It's so good to see your post, and the latest goings on in your life. Dear friends are such a blessing. I'm so glad you were able to share wonderful time with them. Our garden has also had it's ups and downs this year. I'm happy to hear about your positive work changes, and hope this summer brings you many more blessings.

Sharon said...

Dear April,

Oh my gosh it's been so long. I was cleaning out my desk drawer and found a letter you had sent me. It brought me back to a time when I was engaged in a blog, meeting wonderful people on the internet. I've missed those times! I remember the wonderful gift of peanut brittle you had sent me, and I still have your recipe. I had given up my blog for a long time, and just recently opened it up again, only a little different than before.
I was searching for my old friends, and I'm so glad I found your blog again. It is permanently bookmarked on my computer so I can follow you. I will take some time to read your posts and catch up, but in the meantime know that I have been thinking about your and hope you are well. xoxo Sharon