Thursday, June 6, 2019

In The Garden

The lettuces I planted in our good enough garden were sprouting within 36 hours of being planted. It was quickly obvious that I had planted the seeds with a heavy hand, but I wasn't about to thin them out.

We just got back after five days away. The League of American Orchestras just held its 74th national conference and we drove down to Nashville for it. It was a stunning, fascinating conference; I'm still digesting what I heard and discussed over the three days.

While we were out of town, my dad watered the garden as needed. It was just about midnight when we drove in last night, so it was morning before I took a look from the back deck.

Holy moly: we have lettuce! 





In the spirit of transparency, I will note that we have 75% of the planters going great guns. The fourth planter (planted with Emerald Jewel, a lettuce I picked solely for the name) has shot out a few scraggly shoots. I am not sure we'll see much more from it. 

But we have lettuce!    

Tonight, with great glee, I picked and added the first sprigs from the garden to our supper salad. 


We have lettuce! 

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Enjoy your lettuce! I just picked the first of ours last night and tonight, and mixed it with store bought. So tender and good.

Out My window said...

It is a most prolific crop!

Ellen said...

Your garden looks delicious! I'd even eat salad if it contained your lettuce.