Friday, October 2, 2026

Watching the Groceries: Wrapping Up the Third Quarter of 2026!

 



With the start of the fourth and final quarter of 2026 just begun (how did that happen?), I have looked at our grocery spending to see where we stand for the year.

And the short version is? Better than I had hoped, given the prices of food and some of the splurges I made. I keep a running spreadsheet on my computer and will sometimes make editorial comments as I go, some of which make me laugh and some of which make me wince when hit the end of a quarter.

So numbers first. In the third quarter, we spent $628.19 on groceries, which for purposes of tracking means food items and common household items such as detergent and toilet paper. Of that, only $23.33 was spent on household items, just under 4% The monthly average for third quarter? $209.40. 

Okay.

Year to date, we have spent $1854.61, which comes to an average of $206.07. 

I can live with that!

Looking back at my second quarter post, I see that I called attention to the price of milk, which was on an upward trend. Three months later, the price of milk has come down substantially. (Good, because I love milk.) Probably the biggest "splurge" was when we were recently at Mayo Clinic I picked out some items at Trader Joe's (and note that the one in Rochester, MN is the only TJ we shop at, period) to help shove more complex carbohydrates into my diet as my doctor and I work with my diabetes. So yes to the wild rice and the penne pasta made from brown rice. 

We will have a large stock-up at Aldi in the coming days as we have been eating out of our pantry and garden much of the summer. I know what we don't need: we have A LOT of frozen chicken in our freezer from some walloping sales at Kroger. But I will grab my Aldi list and check on our supplies of staples so I can fill in the gaps.

There has been a lot (A. Lot.) going on in this household, much of it good, much of it complex (even the good stuff), and a chunk of it in the "just get through it" category. My health is stable, but there are some issues that my personal physician and I are watching. Will that impact our grocery spending? Maybe. Who knows?

It is what it is.

There is one very recent development that takes the first place blue ribbon (our county fair just ended) and has nothing to do with grocery spending, but is too good not to share. Last Friday, Warren's daughter Elizabeth gave birth to Gideon, the first child for Elizabeth and her husband Justin, and the first grandchild for both immediate sides. 


Yes, Warren is over the moon. (As we all are.) 

Let's see how we finish 2026 on the grocery front! 

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Oh, congratulations to you and Warren on your sweet grandchild! You do such a good job on keeping grocery spending down. Here's to a gentler 4th quarter.

April said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
April said...

Gentler would be nicer! Just one of those times; we all go through them! And Gideon: what a joy! My grandchildren were all 3-4 months before I/we ever met them; been a long time since I held a brand new baby in my arms!!

SAM said...

Congratulations! Warren looks so happy! I dont know how your groceries are so low...garden produce probably is a great support. I eat out too often, its usually just me, and I, with the pets still averaged nearly $400. Now I do cook and share with kids, siblings and pet supplies are expensive.