Tuesday, April 5, 2022

First Quarter Pennies Review


In early January, I wrote about this household's money issues for 2022, noting that with my retirement a few weeks earlier, my income had shifted dramatically. Now that the first quarter of 2022 is over, I am looking at where things stand.

The biggest shared cost in this household is groceries (which includes some household items such as dish soap and toilet paper). I see that in my early January post I noted that "food costs have risen." Well, that was a flaming understatement. (Question: Can understatements even be flaming, given that they are meant to be presented as being less important?) 

Around here, food costs have risen steeply for some products. Let's just say I never thought I'd be glad that Warren doesn't like to eat beef. Costs have risen across the board in all the stores. Our overall grocery expenditures have ticked upwards. In January, I said I hoped to come in under $200/month for the year. At the end of the first quarter, we have averaged $206.03 a month. Close but not there. (I would also note that supply shortages are an ever present issue as well, adding to the uncertainty of any visit to the grocery store.)

I am planning to spend most of April using what we already have at hand in the freezer or pantry when I cook, so April might be a lower cost month. Might. We did buy six (yes, six) smoked hams today for the freezer. With Easter coming up, both Aldi and Meijer used hams as their loss leaders in this week's ads and we took advantage of the deals. That's ham for a year in this household. Storage will not be a problem. We have a freezer in our basement, as does my dad. Some of those hams will reside with him until later in 2022 but right now they are still hanging out here. 

As I wrote in my earlier post, I had set aside enough money from my 2021 income that my insurance premiums (Medicare and all the rest) for 2022 are all covered. At the start of the year, attending a webinar on myeloma put on by the Leukemia Lymphoma Society, I learned that the LLS has patient co-pay assistance programs for various cancers, including myeloma. These programs cover cancer-related costs (treatment and doctors) and insurance premiums. Insurance premiums! I applied, received an award, and have begun submitting my 2022 premiums. Processing is slow and I have not seen any reimbursements show up yet, but that will help build the 2023 reserves. 

At the end of the first quarter, all is smooth on the money front in our home. Given the state of things all over the world, I am grateful. And privileged. 

2 comments:

Laurie said...

That's wonderful news on the co-pays. Hopefully, you'll soon see some results from your efforts. From everything I read, purchasing groceries could be pretty interesting as the year goes on. It's a good time to grow a garden.

Out My window said...

You are blessed my friend. CO pays can eat you alive.