Saturday, April 4, 2009

Birthday Thoughts

Yesterday was my 53rd birthday. It passed very quietly in Chicago, where we were spending two days with Elizabeth (my teenage stepdaughter) during her spring break. My birthday was spent largely at the Field Museum, primarily in the stunning Aztec exhibit that is leaving shortly, and on the road as we barreled back to Delaware.

I have never had a problem with growing older. Ever. And ever since being diagnosed with an incurable cancer five years ago and not knowing initially whether I would make it to 50, let alone 53, I have heartily rejoiced in every orbit of the earth that brings April 3 to me again.

Throughout the day, I thought about a birthday piece written by Alise, my almost daughter-in-law, when she was working in an Alzheimer’s care facility:

If questioned, I would be hard pressed to think of a “good thing” about having Alzheimer's disease. Until last week, I wouldn't have an answer. But I think I've found the smallest silver lining in this insidious disease.

Last week was Jan's birthday. Her kids sent her a beautiful bouquet of flowers, which we set up in the living room (we often do this so that everyone can enjoy a little color, and flowers make the residents smile). Every time Jan saw the flowers, she would turn to one of the caregivers and ask, “Who got flowers?”

“Those are yours, Jan. It's your birthday!”

“Well, so it is! Happy Birthday to me!”

We sang “Happy Birthday” at least six times that day, the residents often starting choruses of the song any time Jan's birthday was mentioned. It was kind of a beautiful series of moments.

So, last week, it wasn't just Jan's birthday. For her and for everyone at Russell House, it was her birthday over and over again that day. And the happiness that they felt did not diminish with each new discovery.

All of my days since November 10, 2004, have been a beautiful series of moments. Yesterday was no exception.

Here’s to celebrating birthdays over and over again.

No comments: