Sunday, June 12, 2022

This Year's Gardens: Part 9

 As I wrote last time, I went on a tear in the Hej garden just before we left for Mayo. What more damage could be done, right? 

We had three days away this week courtesy of our trip to Oz, and returned home very late Thursday night. I spent Friday dealing with the detritus of our travel. 

Yesterday Warren said, "So you want to go look at the garden?" 

Did I? I wasn't sure. Then I reasoned that the worst result would be the plants were in better shape, Warren having fenced the garden before we left, and the rough zucchini sowing would have come to naught.

We walked down together. I had not marked the hoed rows before covering them with grass, but I knew roughly where they were. I carefully kicked the grass away and...seedlings! 

We are still a long ways from the first zucchini and I noticed that a blossom on one of the older plants looked bug-gnawed. 

But...seedlings! 


2 comments:

Laurie said...

Hooray for returning to seedlings! We've replanted our zucchini and yellow squash several times, and so far, have one tiny and one larger plant. We're not sure which they are at this point, and no blooms yet. But, there's hope!

April said...

Laurie: "hurray for seedlings" is my sentiment exactly. Who knows what this year's gardens will ultimately bring, but it felt so good to see those little heads poking up out of the dirt!