Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Small Moment: Late Lettuce

Back in late September, I planted four planters with lettuce seed, hoping for a late fall harvest. Right after I planted them, the weather turned quirky: hot dry days, gray days, dry days, early light frost days.

I doubted anything would come up. Nonetheless I watered the planters during the sun-stricken days and pulled them inside Warren's shop on the frosty nights.

And my efforts were rewarded, more or less. The Black Seeded Simpson did not come up, the Emerald Jewel did:


It came up despite the irregular weather. It came up despite the squirrel or two who insisted on digging in the planters (that is why the planter at the top of the photo has an irregularity in the soil at the end on the right side: squirrel digs).

And tonight, not knowing how much more these planters will produce, I added some to our salad:


There's probably enough to make a small salad or two, or to supplement a salad with a different (i.e., store bought) salad base. And then the lettuce is done for the season.

Next year's garden is already in my head.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Home grown lettuce is the best. It was a very quirky lettuce year here too. The only time in 26 years I can remember the fall lettuce bolting. I planted more seeds, so have two varieties about the size of yours up, and will cover them soon to keep them going.