Monday, October 9, 2017

Small Moment

The other night, running into my longtime friend Donna at a gala event, she asked me how my basil did this year.

Pretty lousy is how my basil did this year. Even the bees were irked at me.

"I think I still have some left," she replied. She said she would check and if she did...

"Pesto in exchange for basil?"

"Absolutely."

Midday Sunday she texted me that she indeed had basil. "It's on a bag on the porch near the caladium pot."

Well, I didn't know what caladium was (I do now), but I found the bag easily. Pesto making is in my immediate future.

I don't can anymore; I gave my canner to Goodwill and my jars to our Court's Girls Group. I don't do a lot of labor intensive cooking anymore. I do have a lot of containers of bean soup, different kinds, in my freezer, because bean soup is the world's easiest food to make in bulk and then freeze in portions. But I will gladly spend an hour or so tonight making pesto, some to freeze, some to give back to Donna.

Just a small moment. A little friendship. A little community.




4 comments:

Darla said...

Oh boy do I like pesto. DH didn't garden much this year as the place was torn up with remodeling. Basil is SO expensive in the market. There is always next year I suppose.

Out My window said...

I always have basil growing as I cannot make myself pay for fresh. So it is either in or out of the house depending on the weather. Hope you are feeling better.

Laurie said...

Pesto is such a vibrant taste of summer. Wishing you a better week.

Unknown said...

It was wonderful! It tasted of the love you put into it plus the summertime and sunshine of fresh basil. Alas summer is over - and after tonight, my basil and veggies will be over too.