Friday, August 15, 2014

Inch Twenty-Four: A Week Away

We were out of town all last week, starting Monday afternoon and ending the following Sunday. Most of the week was spent in Chicago, following a wedding in Cincinnati and a day in Columbus, Indiana. Most of the week was not related to our respective jobs for a change, although there was a "must attend" concert in Chicago. A dedicated chunk of time in Chicago was spent on pies, a topic I will revisit in a later post.

I found myself looking at bits of color and splashing water and pie, lots of pie. As I am still regaining my energy from the trip, I am resorting mostly to photos for the remainder of this post. Words will return next week.

Columbus, Indiana, is known worldwide for its amazing post-World War II architectural wonders, but my eyes were drawn to the fountains.


I wanted to sit under this spray, an act I suspect would have been frowned upon.


Columbus also had an amazing ice cream parlor, restored to its 1904 look, and we sampled the sundaes. But what really caught me eye were these guys on a vintage root beer container.


Who wouldn't want to be a satyr dancing around with a mug of root beer on a hot day?


I am always happy when in Chicago. There is lots of color there.





There is lots of water in Chicago. Some of it you just look at (suppressing the urge to crawl into it).

Chicago Botanic Gardens

I mean, come on! 

And some of it you get out and splash in.

Splash area at Millennium Park

This little guy toddled back and forth for over 30 minutes,  soaked and smiling.

Dorothy is in Chicago, along with the Scarecrow, Tim Woodsman, and Cowardly Lion.


We met up at—where else?—Oz Park.


And there is a lot of pie in Chicago.


A whole lot of pie.


Really, really good pie.



I'll be writing about pie next time. We all have our pilgrimages, and this was one of mine. 

1 comment:

Darla said...

Fun to see where you went. I've been to Chicago and enjoyed the visit. And pie? I think you know that I love pie. Can't wait to hear more about the pie adventure.

Darla