Saturday, March 1, 2014

Turn Around

This picture of Ramona popped up on Alise's Facebook page the other day. Alise commented, "She picked up some info at NAYA tonight. We always knew she was advanced."

Ramona is 18 months old today.

What I wanted to say when I saw the photo was, "Don't turn away, Ben and Alise, because when you turn back again, Ramona will be receiving college mailings!"

I remember still when the very first college letter came to Ben, close on the heels of his PSAT scores. I remember opening the mailbox and wondering what was up when I removed an envelope from DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana.

That Depauw entreaty was the first of an avalanche of letters and catalogues for Ben. And when I turned around again, he was in Portland, graduating from Reed College.

When I was little, the Sunday night "must see" television show was Disney's "Wonderful World of Color." A Kodak commercial ran weekly either during or immediately after the show. It was a song sung by a father to his daughter, with the opening lines of "Where are you going, my little one, little one?" When I saw the photo of Ramona, I thought of it immediately.



Time is fleeting. Every time I turn around, there is a new Ramona. Is she already 18 months old?

She must be, because I can already see her reaching up for that doorknob.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful post and I too remember that commercial! Thanks for offering a memory. With digital pictures your grandaughter's generation will have many memories!

Darla said...

Oh how the days fly by, especially in those baby years. Isn't it wonderful that technology lets you keep in touch? Not like being there but so much better than waiting for the occasional photo to come in the mail.

Darla

Sharon said...

Awwww. I wish you could see Ramona more! I know exactly what you are feeling, as I, too, can't believe my baby is taking the SAT and will be gone in one short year. PLUS, I have a grandson who is 5 mos already! Where does the time go?