Thursday, October 1, 2009

October Report

We had the first frost of the year - a sur- prisingly strong one - last night. Even before I knew there was a frost advisory, I had already made up my mind to spend some of the morning in the gardens, putting them to bed for the year. The last several days had been cool and rainy, and the garden was looking more and more bedraggled and done.

I probably spent about two hours culling the last few tomatoes that weren't waterlogged or rotting, picking peppers, pulling pumpkins from the dying vines. As I pulled tomato vines, I discovered a couple of onions overlooked earlier and I added them to the pile drying in the basement. I clipped all the basil to make pesto to freeze.

It was drizzling lightly while I worked and my shoes caked with mud as I moved through the garden. The flu season has begun in earnest here and I found myself thinking "great, all I need to do is get chilled and overdo it."

I don't think I did.

Later in the morning, my mom called to tell me there was a frost advisory: did I want anything from their garden? Sure I did. So I drove out to mom and dad's and picked the last of their peppers and took the last zucchinis, which dad had already picked for me. I lugged home a sack full of vegetables and added it to the collection on the floor.

The days and nights are packed at our house right now. The dying garden, a hallway makeover, the Symphony rehearsals for the debut concert, the...you name it, we have it going on. Two
nights ago there was the soft hiss and faintly sweet smell of pumpkins stewing on the stove. Last night I stripped basil leaves while a pumpkin loaf baked. During the night, the last of the fresh tomatoes dried in the oven. There are wonderful combinations of smells - peppers and pumpkins, cinnamon and basil - when you walk in our front door. Come what may, our larders are full. I look at the shelves of canned goods and the laden freezers and think we may go all winter long just eating the bounty of our gardens.

October is my favorite month of the year and I love that this one started off with a kiss of frost. I love October for what it brings: the sharp, chill air, the splendor of the dying year. The leaves are starting to turn around here. Both of our half birthdays (which we note if not celebrate) are in October; our wedding anniversary is as well. My aunt Ginger turns 80 later this month, the day after the Symphony opens its season. It is a four star month all the way around.

Many, many years ago, sitting in my 6th grade English class, I penned a poem that began, "There's nothing I like better than a bright October day." The girl is long gone, but the sentiment still holds true.

October, October, October at last.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Would love to view your "larder"--I'm sure I could eat, sleep, and dream there for a year!

Great way to begin the fall!

Christine said...

Beautiful poetry comes from your blog posts, April. I love reading them.
September/October are my favorite months. I love wearing sweaters, cooking a hearty stew, seeing the pumpkins on porches, the color changes in the leaves... *sigh*. Those are only thoughts of what it would be like to live back east. lol. Unfortunately, it is 87degrees here in California with the sun shining brightly and no sign of coolness coming our way.

Christine said...

Oh yes... ps - happy anniversary!