Saturday, June 6, 2009

Running Races

My friend Cindy got me thinking about rat races. We email daily and hers yesterday morning started out this way:

Every Friday i think.....WHY do "we" spend so much of our lives doing something we can't stand? Of course i know the answer! TO HAVE A ROOF OVER OUR HEADS, feed our kids (2 & 4 legged!), do the things we ACTUALLY enjoy doing. But think about just how much time we spend at our jobs. 8 hours a day ...........pushing papers (whether paperless offices or not, we're still pushing papers!) It almost seems like made-up work. Instead of gardening, canning, preparing fields, building, things that feed us, house us.

Although she didn't use the phrase "rat race" in her email, she was describing one in the sense of futility that descends over many people when they have to work at an unsatisfying job just to pay the bills.

Everyone has his or her own definition of "rat race." I know someone who has practiced tax law in a medium sized, conservative, big city firm for the last quarter century and has found the job to be absolutely soulless. If you asked him why he has persisted, he would probably mutter something how life is just a big rat race. Cindy works in an insurance office, selling lines of insurance. She does it to make the mortgage payment and buy feed for her horses and keep the truck running, when she'd rather be massaging horses (her side business) and planting a garden.

Dropping out of the rat race is not easy and not always attainable. As Cindy points out, there is food to put on the table (or in the manger, in her case). And let's face it: as appealing as Thoreau's notion of living simply alongside Walden pond may be, almost all of us have utility bills and the mortgage or rent to pay. To drop out of the rat race means to make lifestyle choices that aren't always possible or practical.

I am lucky in that I have part-time work that I find satisfying and meaningful. Because I am an independent contractor and not an employee, I set my own hours and keep my own schedule. (There are some downsides: I make less money than I would if I worked full time and I have no benefits, including medical insurance.)

I am fortunate beyond words that I can sustain a satisfactory lifestyle at a modest income level. I don't put much stock in new cars, eating out, new clothes, or jewelry and makeup. My share of the monthly household expenses is significantly less than mine alone used to be. All the same, money is tight at times.

Broke is broke, but poverty is relative, and while I am sometimes broke, I am not poor.

Nor is my life a rat race. Almost four years ago, while recuperating from the second of two stem cell transplants meant to arrest my bone marrow cancer, I chose to retire my law license. I truly enjoyed practicing, but I was not the same person I was before the cancer, neither physically nor personally. My life irrevocably changed the moment my doctor said "you have cancer." Retiring my license permanently sidelined me from a rat race I had been running for some time. (A fun rat race, but a rat race all the same.)

I've never regretted it.

Despite that decision, my life is still sometimes a mouse race, if not a rat race. When I married Warren, we blended our schedules. With his job at the Symphony, his performances, his parenting schedule, my work, and my community volunteer activities, let alone our home projects, family, and friends, our life sometimes moves at a dizzying pace.

As of late, the pace has picked up and I think I hear footsteps behind me. The late, great Satchel Paige said "don't look back. Something might be gaining on you." I know what I would see if I looked back: a legion of mice pattering after me, trying to beat me to whatever finish line I imagine is out there.

One of the lessons I learned when I first got sick and was forced to stop everything I was doing was to value my personal time as much I valued the time of others. It is a Life Lesson that I have to relearn on an ongoing basis. Sometimes that means taking a giant step backward from whatever I am intent on doing. Sometimes that means letting someone else take over the project. Sometimes that means sitting down and reading a book instead of folding the laundry.

The incomparable Ernie Banks often said "it's a beautiful day for a ballgame. Let's play two!" I don't play baseball, but I get the point.

I am writing this midmorning on a beautiful early summer day. As soon as I hit "publish post," I'm going outside to check on the garden. Later I'll bake an apple pie to take to Margo and Gerald's home tonight as we celebrate the first fire ring of the summer.

The mice can find someone else to race today.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

This is my first time visiting your blog. What a lovely post! I find that I really enjoy baking from scratch, laying my laundry out to dry on the bushes in the backyard, lighting a scented candle while I take care of correspondence or do kitchen chores. Simple things, but very satisfying. Thanks for sharing your story. May you enjoy many healthy, happy, unstressed years ahead :)

April said...

Thank you, Lynn. I hope you come back again.

Katrina said...

Well, April, you know me. I support the rat race. I certainly feel sympathy for those out there who do not take satisfaction with the fruits of their labors, but the whining is tiresome. Even planting a garden can become a rat race if you start comparing your efforts to your neighbors' or Martha Stewart. Maybe if more people had faith and realized that even the most mundane tasks have meaning, there wouldn't be all this whining. The irony of it all is that we don't always know how much our smallest actions may mean to those around us. Furthermore, there is great pride to be taken in making a productive contribution to something whether it be a law firm, a family, or a garden. Too much introspection strikes me as self indulgent. There is a nut out in Seattle who is trying to develop a national "happiness index" - proof of what too much Starbucks will do to your brain. Now I am racing off to the gym so I can get the broken parking meter before anyone else.

Frances said...

Hmmm. Or find that happy spot where you get to do what you love and get paid for it :)