Sunday, August 30, 2026

And After Three



Three years ago today, I coded. 

"Coded" as in "April is dying and we have to resuscitate her NOW!" I remember a team of medical personnel pushing and running alongside the gurney I was on, one of the doctors yelling for someone to get some shears and cut my shorts off, and another doctor, a new resident who I had gotten to know in the previous few days, leaning over and saying in my ear, "Stay with us, April. Stay with us."

And that's all I remember until they brought me out of a medically induced coma two days later.

Needless to say, that experience changed me permanently in ways I am still coming to understand. As I work my way through ways to approach my daily life—the tai chi, the weights, the Buddhist moments with Thich Nhat Hanh (which has changed how I approach walking, among other things), "Jupiter"—I am daily reminded that I am still here. 

Happy anniversary to my life. 

4 comments:

  1. Now that's an anniversary to celebrate. I'm so glad you're still with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, April. That's an anniversary that cannot be ignored. I'm thankful for you and your inspiring words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Sam. Your words mean a lot to me.

      Delete